05 Sep Fall Foliage Turning
Fall Foliage Turning
Maine fall foliage colors are now surfacing in Greenville, Maine Moosehead Lake Region. Loving autumn, Maine fall vacations and observing seasonal changes over the last 18 years, there are certain things we look for to declare foliage as turning. Over the last several weeks, hints of autumn colors appearing on stressed trees popped up to get leaf peepers excited. Now we are posting fall foliage turning color reports to plan guests plan their fall vacations.
Once colors start to surface the transformation can last few weeks to over a month depending upon the weather, with changes of up to 20% from week to week. View fall foliage report from September 29, 2016 to compare foliage seasons.
10 Signs of Fall Foliage Turning
- A few weeks ago, noticed that tall ferns foliage turning with spotty colors and stripes of golden bronze.
- Blueberry foliage turning starting to show off deep reds to purple leaves.
- Sugar Maple tree outside my window is always an early tree and has fall foliage turning with scattered red bright red leaves randomly on the ground.
- The beautiful white birches start to show off limbs of yellow limes, then quickly turn more yellow as days progress.
- You hear the rustle of leaves blowing across pavement.
- Temperatures are about 10 degrees below normal and dipping into the 40’s and you are closing windows.
- Every few days, noticeable changes in fall foliage turning means fall has arrived!
- Caterpillars appear, and crickets seem louder in stillness of cool evenings.
- Morning sunrise photography at 5:30 am you can see your breath and are thinking about gloves.
- Fall foliage turning – when the top of trees start to crown with fall colors not just a limb or leaf fall has arrived.
Fall Foliage Turning Season
There are many places one can look for fall foliage reports in New England, Maine. This can be from online magazines, to Official Foliage reports on the different phases from turing to past peak. All may slightly differ on timing of posts. We post frequently on various social platforms when inspired.
We love when the fall foliage turning surfaces to low fall color season where colors run through the leafs and warm sunshine with cool evenings. Then onto moderate where a variety of colors or more than 50% of the trees display colors then off to high where colors are 50 – 75%. Then there is peak greater than 75% and after peak where the colors are fading and leaf loss maybe high. We love all stages of fall from turning to peak and even after peak and therefore, post frequently about fall colors, moose and mountain fall tours, and report with photographs of colors we see. Last years autumn fall foliage season ended up being one of the best in years.
Maine Fall Foliage Turning Reports
The Cozy Moose Team bases fall foliage turning reports seasonal observations and 18 years of first hand experience with a Maine Guide on staff in the Maine Woods.
- Facebook Group Page – Maine Fall Foliage and let us know what you are seeing.
- New England Fall Foliage September 12
- Autumn Fall Foliage Colorful Season 2016
Observations over the years, leads us to believe that this fall foliage season just might be an early fast season. Lets all hope for another long fantastic autumn like last year. Be sure to connect with us. Thanks and enjoy the fall.